Thoughts on writing "Christian Fantasy"

Recently I was asked a few questions, and I thought I'd post my answers here. Please share your own thoughts!

1) What does it mean to be a Christian author?

2) How do you show God's love in fantasy writing?

3) How do you keep from sounding judgmental of non-Christians in your writing?

4) What makes a novel "Christian fantasy" (if there is such a thing)?

5) How do you explain to other Christians that writing fantasy literature is not sinful?

6) Why did you decide to write fantasy?

7) What is the worst thing a Christian writer can do when writing fantasy?

1) For me, being a Christian author (to be glib) is simply to be an author who is Christian. I've found that when you (any fiction author) sets out to expound upon philosophy/theology FIRST, without any particular care for plot and character, the book is doomed to fail. Christian authors, in their fervor to preach (a good thing), have an unfortunate habit of not relying either on themselves or on Him to allow His truths to shine through plot and character. Christian authors tend to bash religion into every paragraph, making it unbearable. BUT, no matter what one's faith, what one believes always shines through.

2) God's love is God's love no matter what the worldbuilding. Fantasy authors have fallen into the trap of using pantheons because it's a quick way to worldbuild, and pagans have jumped on that to preach their beliefs. For me, I have one world which knows the Gospel truth and so it isn't an issue; the characters are very open about their Christian faith. I also have another world which is purposefully set up with a pantheon (and a weird cult, and a bunch of other religions), because I wanted to show how those religions aren't the fullness of truth. They still experience Providence, but don't know what to call Him.

3) I think it helps to be non-jugemental (a good question!) OF PEOPLE in general. We judge actions, not souls - that's His job. As authors, therefore, we love our characters, flawed as they are, and allow the audience to judge their actions. Example, the folks who are in the weird cult in one of my novels: there are those who are just trying to live their lives, and then there are also those who are embracing the bad actions the cult implicitly encourages. They are judged by actions, not by faith.

4) Same thing that makes "pagan fantasy," or in Orwell's case "Mormon fantasy." It's the same as question one: your personal beliefs seep through. Pagans writing fantasy are hardly glib when they describe "the goddess" (or whatever). They're sincerely attempting to promulgate their worship. Aetheists such as Pullman literally kill God in their novels. Belief shines through. Christian fantasy is fantasy written by Christians with a Christian outlook. Some characteristics include encouragement towards understanding of God the Father, Son and Spirit, the sense of stumbling towards redemption, and the use of suffering as transfigured by grace.

5) In this case, it helps me personally to be a Catholic, since our tradition goes back waaaay far and includes those who've written pretty much every genre. But for Protestant Christians, and even worried Catholic Christians, the hesitancy typically springs from a misunderstanding of the use of "magic" in fantasy novels. Unfortunately, there's this belief that "you are what you read," hence if you read about magic in fiction, you will attempt to do magic in real life, which is a bad thing because it does spring from a demonic source.

The best I can say is that first, most readers - even young ones - generally understand what fiction is, and that the whole pleasure in reading fiction is that it isn't real. If a parent is worried, they should have a conversation (mostly for their peace of mind more than instructing a child) with their children about reality and fiction, and magic in both. The medievalists and renaissance writers, if required to mention "magic," would either show its demonic or tricky qualities (the sidhe court, the witches in Macbeth), or would make a point of saying that the "magic was not damnable" (As You Like It), i.e., that it's fictional.

If the person is willing to listen more, I'd explain that "magic" in fantasy novels is often science misunderstood, or natural to a certain creature (e.g., healing properties of alicorn) and hence not worrisome to humans, or bound by rules which means bound to be only in the fictional world *anyway.* Moreover, for myself, I still argue that the creation of a fantasy world is not dependent upon "magic," in the same way that science fiction IS bound upon science. However, I'll admit that "magic" - or rather, the impossible - is half the fun of fantasy, and that's why we read it.

Regardless, "what if" is not sinful.

6) I just think in terms of fantasy - always have. My earliest make-believe games were based on fairy tale motifs - orphaned princesses, evil witches or queens oppressing the former, dolls come to life, Robin Hood (although one might argue that isn't fantasy). Peter Pan was my childhood sweetheart for YEARS. Fantasy is the complete realm of imagination, since one even builds the world, sometimes justifying new rules of physics, let alone constantly playing with biology and chemistry, and all sorts of fun stuff. I like what Tolkein said about fantasy, that people criticize fantasy as "escapist" literature, which isn't laudable...unless one is escaping from a jail. Chesterton also put it well that fantasy follows the ordinary hero, who is able to recognize his world as extraordinary BECAUSE of who he is. Modern novels are based on insane characters in our hyper-sane world. Fantasy constantly frees us to escape both inward and outward at once.

7) The worst thing any writer can do is to write a dreadful novel, full of awful prose and worse plot, half-a-dimensional characters, and phrases that make me giggle at their placement (e.g., "He turned his back and kissed her"). So the worst sin a Christian author can do is write a terrible book. The second worst thing he can do - and Christian authors are prone to this - is beat the audience over the head with Bible quotes, or sudden sit-downs in the middle of a scene in order to have a conversation about theology, or the obvious redemption story, or black and white characters. You'll note all these authorial sins will result in the cardinal authorial sin of writing a bad book.

Comments


  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR.TAKUTA) THAT HELP
    ME GET MY EX HUSBAND BACK, AM SO HAPPY
    My name is LUCY SETHI from USA .I am here to
    give testimony on how I got my husband back.
    My husband left me for no reason 3 years ago.
    He moved in with another woman, I felt like
    killing myself, my life became very bitter and
    sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me
    about a great spell caster that is very good and,
    he said he gave him some lucky numbers that he
    played in a lottery and he won. I didn't believe it
    because I've worked with so many of them and it
    didn't work. He begged me further so I decided
    to try this great spell caster called DR TAKUTA. I
    still didn't believe. I used the spell he gave me
    and the next day I received a call from my
    darling husband Thomas last month. He
    apologized and came back to me. He even gave
    me 10,000USD as a means of compensating me.
    I'm very happy now. please i will advise you to contact him
    now and see for your self his Email is via____
    takutaspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
    through the following contact on +27788634102


    Dr.TAKUTA also cures:
    1. HEPATITIS A,B,C
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3.DIABETES
    4.STROKE.
    5.AIDS HERBAL CURE, STDS and STI
    6. MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
    7.LOVE SPELL CASTING
    8.JOB PROMOTION SPELLS
    9.MARITAL PROBLEM
    10.MAGIC MONEY SPELLS

    ReplyDelete

  2. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR.TAKUTA) THAT HELP
    ME GET MY EX HUSBAND BACK, AM SO HAPPY
    My name is LUCY SETHI from USA .I am here to
    give testimony on how I got my husband back.
    My husband left me for no reason 3 years ago.
    He moved in with another woman, I felt like
    killing myself, my life became very bitter and
    sorrowful. Then 1 day, a friend of mine told me
    about a great spell caster that is very good and,
    he said he gave him some lucky numbers that he
    played in a lottery and he won. I didn't believe it
    because I've worked with so many of them and it
    didn't work. He begged me further so I decided
    to try this great spell caster called DR TAKUTA. I
    still didn't believe. I used the spell he gave me
    and the next day I received a call from my
    darling husband Thomas last month. He
    apologized and came back to me. He even gave
    me 10,000USD as a means of compensating me.
    I'm very happy now. please i will advise you to contact him
    now and see for your self his Email is via____
    takutaspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
    through the following contact on +27788634102


    Dr.TAKUTA also cures:
    1. HEPATITIS A,B,C
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3.DIABETES
    4.STROKE.
    5.AIDS HERBAL CURE, STDS and STI
    6. MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
    7.LOVE SPELL CASTING
    8.JOB PROMOTION SPELLS
    9.MARITAL PROBLEM
    10.MAGIC MONEY SPELLS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FOUND HELP
    Hello, i am from canada, I want to share this great testimony about how
    Dr.uneme helped me bring back my ex lover, During my search for solution i
    came in contact with Dr. uneme details and through his help my lover came
    back to me within 48 hours. So with these i am so bold to advise anyone
    seeking for a way to get there lover back to contact Dr.uneme on WhatsApp:
    { +2348143813120 }or via email at: {Unemespellben@gmail.com } I am so happy
    at least myself and my lover are back to each other again and going to
    spend the Life time together Thank to Dr. uneme once again....

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts